Thursday, March 14, 2013

Flathead River book reveals tiny treasures


An interesting tidbit I want to share with my students RIGHT NOW....

I was perusing one of the books purchased for our Indian Ed collection: 
"The Lower Flathead River, Flathead Indian Reservation".  A significant portion of the book consists of a description of the flora, fauna, and geology of the area.  I was looking for excerpts that might be of interest to my kiddos when I stumbled across this bit.

I had noticed that our pet library rat seems somewhat incontinent.  She occasionally leaves tiny drops of urine here and there. I had suspected that it was a form of scent marking, but hadn't had this thought confirmed.  It makes the children snicker, and I tell them that she only pees on people that she wants to remember.

Now I can amaze the kids even further.  I know one can obtain ultraviolet light wands to check rental units for pet urine,  I think I will try to find one and see if Parsnip the rat leaves a visible trail as well.  I can share the idea of raptor vision picking up on the 
ultraviolet trail that is invisible to humans.  I can see this little paragraph blossoming into an incredibly cool science fair project for some rat or raptor enthusiast!

1 comment: