Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day in the Library

Oh how the kids LOVE holidays! I had a steady parade of excited students delivering goodies today. I managed to consume at least a pound of Hershey Kisses alone. One of the most amusing aspects of the day was examining all the different ways the students spell my name.























I have a few great titles I enjoy using for Valentine's Day, but my favorite involves a serenading porcupine. Students really enjoy stories with songs incorporated into the plot, and it's so fun when they begin to sing along. I highly recommend Porcupining:A Prickly Love Story for the primary kids. Older students enjoy listening for the puns liberally sprinkled throughout the text. Identifying and understanding figurative language is a Common Core standard, is it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment